Oh the crazy insensitive things people say to adoptive parents!
18 Things Never to Say to Adoptive Parents
They don't mean to be, but some friends and family can be
very insensitive about the subject of adoption. I now
have several friends who have chosen to start or expand their
family this way and they often find themselves rolling their eyes
at what people say. It's as though they feel the right to ask
anything that comes to mind when they learn you have an adopted
child. The most common questions: "What happened to his real
parents?" As if you aren't the real parents. Or: "Where
is he from?" Like every adopted baby must be from some exotic,
Angelina Jolie-approved locale. But some comments and queries are
even more rude and ridiculous. Check out the 18
things you should never say to parents who have
- Does it bother you he won't ever look like you?
- Be honest, do you love your biological kids more?
- Why did they give her up? Is she sick?
- Did you ever think about giving him back if something's
- Wow, guess this is your good deed for the year!
- Don't you want children of your own?
- He's probably going to have abandonment issues.
- What if the parents come back for him?
- What is he?
- Why didn't you get a kid from America?
- Did you ever think about getting a black market baby instead
of dealing with all this red tape?
- Did you adopt because you can't have any?
- When are you going to tell her she's adopted?
- Do your other kids know she's not the same?
- She is so lucky you took her in!
- Aren't you worried his parents passed on some illness or
- This is so great of you. You know, we thought about taking
one of those poor children home during our vacay to the islands.
- Hey, you are pulling an Angelina!
What are rude things have people said to parents who've
ADOPTION SERVICES INTERNATIONAL
If you or someone you love would like to expand your family,
provide a permanent home for a needy orphaned child, welcome a
sibling for an existing child or discover an alternative for
infertility treatments - contact us to learn more about Ukrainian
adoption, Adoption Services International can help.
Adoption Services International has extensive experience making
the process as smooth as possible, from the very beginning of
your decision to adopt, through bringing your adopted child home
to the US. Adoption Services International unites loving US
families with Ukrainian children. We provide a unique
professional, individualized, quality (including a maximum
guaranteed adoption fee), personal adoption experience, at
affordable cost and 20 years Ukrainian experience.
Free Presentation: Ukraine is Not Russia!
Ukrainian International Adoption: Opportunity, Challenges and
Thursday, April 25, 2013; 6:00-8:00 pm
Califon Book Shop, 72 Main Street, Califon, NJ 07830
Free Presentation and Get Together: Experiences and
Information on Ukrainian Adoption
Sunday, June 2, 2013, 2:00-4:00 pm
Washington Township, NJ
Casual information session and opportunity for adoptive parents
to discuss their personal experiences. Plenty of time for
questions and answers, mingling and a chance to meet the
children. Bilingual babysitting and light refreshments will be
provided. Bring the whole family! Registration is required.